Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Making old towels like new!

So today is the day where I make my old towels like new!
I saw a pin on Pinterest about it a few months ago and knew that it was going to come in handy someday. We've had our towels since before we were married and haven't bought any new ones.
I love the freshness of new towels and how they smell when they first come out of the dryer.
Anyway, my towels STINK! Not dirty stinky but more like they've been at the bottom of a drawer forever stinky. Obviously they are clean, and they still kinda work. :/ But my husband noticed that they are just not as absorbent anymore. I noticed it too, but I've been to busy to care before but today I couldn't get it out of my head.
So here's pin to which I am following

Use Vinegar and Baking Soda to Recharge your Towels

Best part for me? I already have the ingredients plus it's all natural! Double bonus right?...and you all know how much I love to be as natural as possible in my day-to-day life. ;)

All you do is...

1 hot wash, no detergent with 1 cup of vinegar

then 

1 hot wash, no detergent with 1/2 cup of baking soda

after that

dry your towels without a dryer sheet/fabric softener

The goal? Get all that extra detergent and fabric softener that is sticking to your towels.
I personally don't use fabric softener with my towels anymore after I started washing my baby's clothes.  My son has ultra sensitive skin and after using a different detergent and using NO store bought dryer sheets or fabric softener on his cloths, blankets, sheets and towels has really helped clear up his eczema. I actually use a homemade fabric softener for his things and it works wonderfully.

So before you even think about tossing those towels out or turn them into rags try this out! You'll be saving money and maybe get a few more years out of your towels. 




2 comments: